Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Perth Music II

You know . . . as keen as I am to learn the language, it's positively frustrating that Blogger appears in Japanese. If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd much appreciate it.

Anyway, I just want to be frank with you about something. As my last post probably made abundantly clear to any cognoscenti who happened to be reading it, I know next to nothing about Perth music, and even closer to nothing about Perth music of the current decade. Nevertheless, I'm going to post what in my ignorance I believe to be some of the highlights of Perth music in the years 2000-2007 (in no particular order). If you have any more suggestions, please leave a comment below.

Karnivool (2005): "Themata"


The Panda Band (2005): "Sleepy Little Death Toll Town"


Downsyde (2003): "El Questro"


The Bank Holidays (2004): "Tread Easy"


The Waifs (2003): "London Still"


Pendulum (2005): "Slam"


Little Birdy (2003): "Relapse"


End of Fashion (2005): "Oh Yeah"


Eskimo Joe (2001): "Wake Up"


Bob Evans (2006): "Don't You Think It's Time?"


Birds of Tokyo (2007): "Wayside" (Live)


The Panics (2003): "Kid, You're a Dreamer"


Fourth Floor Collapse (2003): "Sun"


John Butler Trio (2003): "Zebra"


Jebediah (2001): "Fall Down"


OK . . . that's enough for now. On a future occasion, after I've surveyed the opinions of some of my students, I might post some Japanese music.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG

Is THAT what you define as popular?????????
They must all thnnk we are idiots
that music is crap. I listen to pretty crap music to your standard, but thats below my level.
i have lost most respect for you.

HI MISS
XD

Matt said...

I don't get Generation Y.

Anonymous said...

Nice selection indeed, makes me nostalgic for the ole Perth gig-going days. And I'm sure a certain film-maker brother of mine would be pleased you chose that particular 'vool clip ;)

Matt said...

Is that the one Chris directed/edited?

Re: Gen Y . . . it's an international thing. My Japanese students feel the same about mys selection of music as Hayley writing above does.

(Mind you, it could be largely due to the fact that the songs are in English, not Japanese.)

Anonymous said...

haha yay. im happy someone agrees with me. btw, hi matt. hows it goin

i dont like that music, merely the fact that i listen to the emo screamo stuff. go the emo screamo
maybe you should put that on there lol

Matt said...

Well, I was posting Perth music, and I wasn't aware that Perth/WA had a flourishing "emo screamo" scene. If there is a good Perth band you can suggest, I'll gladly add it to the list. (It might make the page take longer to load, however.)

Now, further to your comments re: my selection of Perth music, I feel I ought to speak in my own defense. Firstly, I did provide a caveat in the previous post that the selection would reflect my own rather advanced years, and believe it or not, there was a time when the Jebs were popular and Eskimo Joe still made decent music--as opposed to the INXS-clone garbage they're peddling on high rotation on 96FM and Nova (now that they've become all "adult" and "serious") these days. Secondly, you have to take in consideration the fact that I don't know thing one about current developments on the Perth music scene, especially in the last few years, as I've gradually weaned myself off Triple J. (I thought it was because I was getting older and more interested in listening to news and current affairs; it turns out I was just getting sick and tired of the incessant Aussie hip-hop. I mean, I can't for the life of me figure out how the Australian accent--check that, the woggy Australian accent--in combination with hip hop music could possibly be successful or even listenable, but there it is. The punters evidently lap it up with the same gusto with which they consume the lishpy soundsh of Misshy Higginsh.) So you might say I'm a tad out of the loop.

Anyway, if it makes you happy, I have managed to find a Japanese emo/screamo band by the name of Envy. Here are a couple of YouTubes. Enjoy:

"Scene"

"Go Mad and Mark"

Emma said...

Personally I'm not quite as down on Aussie hip-hop as Matt. However, I must qualify that by adding I only like it when it "takes-the-piss"--the only Australian value shared amongst the plethora of ethnicities living on that Great Southern Land (especially with 1st and 2nd generation Aussies like myself who may or may not sport woggie accents) that I can perceive at least.

Anonymous said...

Well, to tell you the truth, there ARE no good aussie bands. Delta has gotten worse (I know, I never thought it was possible either, but she proved us all wrong) and the Veronicas have turned sluttish. They are pretty much the only people that have ACTUALLY gotten famous. lol.

Miss, I see you have learnt to use big words over there :P Too bad Miss Thorpe doesnt teach us any. She thought it was hilarious when I tried to use big words in an essay and it didn't really work out. I didn't know what half of them meant. Then I had a go at her for not teaching us big words. Twas fun!