Sunday, October 7, 2007

School sports day

Being averse to most forms of physical activity in my school days, I always hated school sports carnivals. (Well: except for the Year 8 carnival, where I won first, second, and third place ribbons in the 100, 200 and 400m. I was in 'C' division--one or two divisions above wheelchairs and zimmer frames.) I always considered school sports as a form of psychological torture designed to shatter the self-esteem of those students who, like myself, lacked the agility and hand-eye co-ordination of our peers (some of the latter who had few qualms about pointing these failings out to us in no uncertain terms), causing them to seek solace in eating disorders, heavy metal music, fantasy role-playing games and so forth. (Maybe that's how the whole 'emo' trend got started; I don't know.)

But I have to take my hat off to Japanese students, who to a girl and boy participate in their school carnivals with far more gusto than I could ever manage, and (to a foreigner's eye, at least) with far less self-consciousness. Apparently, school sports days in Japan originated in the Meiji period, during which Japan emerged from isolationism and endeavoured to become a world power on a par with Western countries like the UK and the US. The Victorian preoccupation with health and fitness was mirrored by the Japanese education minister's decree that sports days be held in all schools "in order to improve the physical abilities of Japanese people, who were seen as poor at sports compared to Westerners." In any event, the Japanese continue to take their sports carnivals very seriously.



Case in point: they have Olympic-style opening ceremonies, complete with competing factions marching into the arena behind their own banners, the raising of the school and national flags, and the school band in full song. Oh, and I almost forgot . . .

The definitive you-know-you're-in-Japan-when moment: the principal leading the entire school in an aerobics session. All they are missing are the business suits.

For much of the day I kept myself occupied honing my skills as a sports photographer, but as you can see . . .


. . . there's only so much a $250 digital camera can do. But I did get involved in other ways.
This is a picture of me desperately trying to stave off cardiac arrest, as I run around the oval with my partner. The event in question involves participants racing to either of two tables in the middle of the oval to collect a placard, on which is written a set of instructions, e.g "Find a person wearing glasses." (Or, in my case, "Find a person from a foreign country.") The players then must search the crowd for a person fitting that description, collect him or her, race to another table where both are fitted with a coloured length of ribbon, and then run with their victims around the oval.

Much of the day's events consisted of races and relays: there were no field events, like high jump or long jump, such as one might expect to find at an Australian school sports carnival. But there was half-time entertainment, in the form of traditional Japanese drum music (courtesy of a troupe from the local elementary school), and the school cheerleading squad:


(I'm told those kids are about 5 or 6 years old, on average.)

And there were many lighthearted activities to keep fans and participants entertained, from conventional tug-of-war to a form of tug-of-war-meets-rugby-union involving lengths of bamboo cane.


And I'll never forget the image of 40 students jumping a massive length of rope--an activity in which I had not participated nor seen anyone else participate in since the early of years of primary school (and even then on a much smaller scale).


I don't know how comfortable I'd feel about Australian students whacking each other with sticks a la kendo, but that bamboo cane rugby game is one that definitely needs to be added to the schedule!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Matt - seriously mate, a lot of those could have been taken at the sports carnival at my High School! They obviously have Sports Carnival In A Box here in Japan, hehe. Good work with the photos, too, by the way. Some great shots in there. Amazing what a $250 camera can do :)

I'm glad your school got a little more involved - the school club relay race, gaijin race, elementary school music and cheerleading squad all cracked me up. The craziest my school got was 'mukade', but I'm told that's a common enough event. Also, that bizarre stretching routine they do to 'Stretch Radio'. I think if I had to wake up to that every day, I'd jump out of the nearest window hehe. Still, an incredible sight nonetheless.

Glad you had a fun time overall! As you said, a lot more enjoyable than our Australian sports carnivals. I too was not particularly athletic. I expect you and I led the way up the home straight in maths and science, but that wasn't as cool, was it? :D

By the way, let's catch up again soon, it was great seeing you and Emma on Sunday and speaking with you at length, finally! It's not often in Japan you find someone you
can discuss teaching, politics and religion with, safely, all in one sitting! Mind you, being limited to English at the moment does tend to cut down on the potentials, doesn't it hehe. Maybe when the Japanese improves a bit, we'll see, hey? :D

Anyway, take it easy and play it safe, mate! :)

Cheers,
Daniel

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

I expect you and I led the way up the home straight in maths and science, but that wasn't as cool, was it? :D

Nope: the humanities were my forte in high school--particularly English Literature, which, in its own way, is just as uncool as anything in maths and science. (Though I did get a "B" in physics in Year 12.) It's a shame, really, because I was always interested in science--and I still am--but I could never handle the maths.

Also, that bizarre stretching routine they do to 'Stretch Radio'. I think if I had to wake up to that every day, I'd jump out of the nearest window hehe. Still, an incredible sight nonetheless.

It reminded me of an episode of "Heroes", where a whole bunch of people in business suits were doing it on top of a building.

Good work with the photos, too, by the way. Some great shots in there. Amazing what a $250 camera can do :)

Thankyou--Emma and I are really trying to hone our skills in this regard. You should see the magic she is able to work with the photo software that came with the camera. (In fact, you can see it in those photos!)

I suspect, unfortunately, that if your computer at school is anything like mine (i.e. old), those Photobucket slideshows really slow it down.

Anonymous said...

Well, now at our school, we get forced to take our sport carnivals seriously.

To me, its a day to get sunburnt and play soccer with the Canadian teachers using a basketball...
Good times.
Got really tanned too!

And the best thing, teachers can only yell at you for not showing up to activities. Mr Sutherland yelled at me. The one day I can tell him to stay the hell away from me coz he was an ass. That was AWESOME!

Emma said...

Oh Hayley you tanned rapscallion!