Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lightning doesn't strike twice, but it appears earthquakes do

Yesterday morning, at about 1am, a small earthquake struck Osaka Bay. It woke us both up; but Emma couldn't recollect it happening the next morning, so I put it down to a vivid dream until I asked some teachers about it later in the day.

It happened again just after 4am this morning. Only very minor--we're both intact, and more importantly, our bottle of Lambrusco is still sitting happily on top of the buffet. To put things into perspective, around 20 percent of the world's earthquakes happen in Japan. I couldn't find any information online regarding yesterday's local earthquake, but it appears a larger one also struck north of Tokyo. I guess we should be surprised, then, that we hadn't encountered a tremor sooner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I think danger and natural disasters are good or anything, but I was so bummed I didn't feel either of these earthquakes! However, I can say I felt one last year in August, while I was in my kitchen. Although very quick, it shook all the glasses in my cupboard and nearly gave me a heart attack. Okay, maybe I am happy I didn't feel these ones...

Anonymous said...

Hello,Matt.★

I recollected the earthquake at that time.I was cared.Were you scared,too:(?

Takatsuka 3nensei.

Matt said...

Yes, I was a little scared. In my home city (Perth), earthquakes are extremely rare. Actually, they're more than rare: I don't think an earthquake has ever happened there. So, unless I have been drinking a lot of beer, I am accustomed to the earth standing still rather than moving. :)