Sunday, May 4, 2008

Hanami


This is going to sound awfully clichéd, but have you ever been somewhere and felt as if you’ve stepped into a fairytale?

Japan’s brush with sakura is fleeting. It has to be. To paraphrase Robert Frost, nothing this impossibly, wonderfully pink can stay.

Through summer and autumn you don’t even notice them. They’re just trees like any other trees. And, like any other trees, they strip themselves bare of their leaves in the winter. Just ordinary trees.

And then . . . a single petal. A single blossom, half-glimpsed, perched on the end of a twig. The tourists queue to capture the memory on film. Within a week, the cherry blossoms have spread, like a rumour, to the four corners of Kansai. Standing ancient, majestic and alone at Kyoto’s Yasaka Shrine. Bending their sad limbs over the waters on the Philosopher’s Walk. Raising their black arms into a canopy of pink and white in the Peony Garden at Himeji Castle.

And beneath the canopy, and beneath the evening blue sky that can be glimpsed between the petals, a carpet of blue tarpaulin, upon which the locals gather to look at the flowers, and sing karaoke (badly), with their eskies full of beer and sake, and steak sizzling on their barbecues. The Japanese have never looked more Australian.

This, my friends, is why God invented the digital camera! Click the images below for slideshows . . .

The beginning: Kikumasamune Sake Brewery, Nada-ku


Tenryuji Temple, Arashiyama


Heian Shrine, Kyoto


The Philosopher's Walk, Higashiyama


Yasaka Shrine, Gion


Evening at Himeji Castle


Osaka Castle


The last of the cherry blossoms: Sumaura

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some great pics here, and very poetic Matt, did Emma put you up to this? hahaha :)
Looking at the photos it is amazing that a month ago we were surrounded by the sakura and now...nothing. And also to see you guys in coats and scarves, crazy because it wasn't that long ago! 2 weeks of cherry blossoms is just not long enough!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Michelle. I should mention that the Photobucket slideshows tend to take a long time to load, and there are actually many more photos there than it might seem at first.

Anonymous said...

Hello!!Matto sensei.I looked at your private blog.You visited the many places.I was impressive your blog about cherry blossoms.

Cherry blossoms are Japanese national flower.Of course it is one of my favoyite flower.

In Japan Morning glorys and Hydrangeas are beautiful now!!

Matt said...

This is not really a private blog. It's just that the level of English here may be too muzukashii for my students. Feel free to comment here anytime!

Hanami was more amazing than words can describe. I'm glad that I am staying here for at least another year so I can enjoy it all over again.

Anonymous said...

Hi,Matto!
I'm TAKATSUKA girl.
Your girlfriend is meccya cute★ 
And meccya beautiful.
Really DONDAKE~!!
I don't have boyfriend...lol
So,I envy you.
By the way,
I have never been to Wakayama.
You have a good time?
I'll enjoy summer vacation!
And play on beach:)
Love love with Emma.

 /
( ^Д^ )  I love your class.
     \

Anonymous said...

Hello!
We also love SAKURA!

Anonymous said...

This picture is very beautiful!!

TAKATSUKA girl☆

Anonymous said...

Hi!Matto!
Sakura is very beautiful.
I love Sakura!

TAKATSUKA STUDENT

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blog.
I was interested in atomic bomb.
I saw pictures which you take.
I was very feel fear.
I knew fear of the war agein.

KOBE TAKATSUKA student

Anonymous said...

I like Hanami too.
I go to the park close to my house to see sakura every year.

TAKATUKA student^^

Anonymous said...

Hi matto sansei.
I think sakura is beautiful too.
But,there are many catapillar!
It is disgusting worm.

takasuka

Anonymous said...

I envy you!!
please take with me next time.
My hometown has aline of sakura along the river.
This name is 'SAKURAGAOKA'.
TAKATSUKA Abe Yukari

Anonymous said...

Hi!Matto sensei.
I like sakura that bloom only in japan.
Sakura bloom short period.
So I regret it.
The photograph taken by the matto sensei is very beautiful.
I admire you very much.

kobe takatuka

Anonymous said...

Hi,mattosensei.
You go to many places,don't you?
Your pictures are beautiful,so I love it.
I love sakura very much.
So,I love sakura's pictures the best in your blog.

kobe takatuka

Anonymous said...

Picture is beautiful.
I love Sakura too.
I am Japanese but I feel in a fairy-tale world.
Hanami makes happy.
I look foreard to the April.
bye~★Takatsuka

Anonymous said...

This picture is very beautiful!!
I like this view of picture.
It seems stepping to a fairytale.
See you ;)★
KOBE TAKATSUKA

Anonymous said...

Hi KOBE TAKATSUKA student..
today i just went to your school..
do you remember a group of Malaysian came today?
really enjoy..and thanks for that precious moment..

pls contact me at:
ntahapontah69@yahoo.com

ima watashi ha akashi castle hoteru tomatte iru..