Monday, May 19, 2008

Wakayama

A few weeks ago Matt, I and two teachers from my school went on a journey that took us south of Osaka’s seemingly endless urban sprawl. We went to Wakayama. This trip was meticulously planned by my go between at Maiko high school, who also doubled as our expert driver for the trip. Waking with the birds we left Kobe city at 6.00 am, cheated our way through Osaka’s crowded streets by taking the elevated expressway and arrived in Wakayama prefecture by 8.00 am. Here we strolled around the grounds of Wakayama castle, confirmed that Mos Burger doesn’t have a breakfast menu and had MacDonald’s for the first time in Japan.

(Click images to view slideshows)

Wakayama Castle

For the rest of the day we travelled along Wakayama’s coast making brief stops at some interesting and beautiful places. First, Tore Tore Ichiban is a fish market well known by locals for its delicious fresh fish. Here you can watch giant tuna being diced, pick your shell fish fresh from the tank and even pick up some whale meat, however, ask for a fish head to use as a table decoration and you will flatly be rejected.


Tore Tore Ichiba

Second, Engetsu rock which gets its name from the circular shape at its centre (en meaning circle and getsu meaning moon). Third, Senjojiki beach which gets its name because its wide open space seems to have room for a thousand tatami mats. Fourth, Sandanbeki cliff that bears some resemblance to southern Western Australia’s coastline. Finally, Kushimoto, the most southern part of the mainland Honshu island. Here we encountered a choral group singing traditional Japanese songs and many more unusual rock formations.


Engetsu


Senjojiki


Sandanbeki


Kushimoto

At the end of our long day we made our way to a Japanese style hotel called Arafune. Despite its less than impressive façade, the interior was newly refurbished. To Matt’s great delight not only did the hotel have hot spring baths and pool table facilities, each room came replete with Western style toilets!


Arafune Ryokan


However, the most interesting aspect of the hotel was the food. Upon sitting at the dinner table, we were served what can unequivocally be classed as the freshest of fish—shrimp and muscles to be precise. A tiny BBQ sat in the middle of our table, its flames licking at the open grill. What happened next could easily have been lifted from one of Peter Singer’s nightmares, for as the shrimp and muscles were placed on the BBQ they started moving! Indeed, they were still alive and trying to break free from their now searing hot shells. This intolerable cruelty lasted for about minute at about which time they settled into their endless sleep. Such an experience is almost enough to make one vegan.


Zankokuyaki

The next day we returned to Kobe via mountain passes. First we stopped at Mt Nachi and walked up an ancient pilgrims path (some people hired costumes so they could walk it in traditional kimono) to the temple which also commanded an view of Mt Nachi’s magnificent waterfall.


Climbing Mt Nachi


Mt Nachi


Mt Koya

After stopping for lunch we went through the mountains--this was the adventure part of the weekend! The road around the mountain was littered with many large fallen rocks and was only wide enough for one car despite being for 2 way traffic. Also, it was incredibly windy: the only way to check if there was a car approaching in the opposite direction was by looking in the misty mirrors. This was all good while the sun was still up, but as it began to set my go-between became anxious to get out of the mountain area and went into speed racer mode. As we careered in straight lines around sharp corners I quietly recalled all the special moments in my life and thought of all the people who had touched my life, while clutching desperately to the handrail to control my nerves. Luckily we did not need to rely on the slight metal rail to protect us from the almighty fall down the mountainside as we made it home safe and sound.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched that movie again...still freaks me out! Emma you didn't mention that you still ate it and it was delicious :)
The windy roads part actually had me on the edge of my seat...hairy scary!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm in post traumatic stress. I'm like Kyle in the toilet papering of the art teacher's house episode of South Park. He lets himself get involved in something he knows he shouldn't do, then afterwards is overcome with remorse because of his behaviour--well that's me. The guilt of it's deliciousness.

Anonymous said...

I have not been to hiroshima.
I am interested in genbakudome.
so a want to go hiroshima.

Anonymous said...

Hello☆
The photograph which you took is very beautiful!!

I have never been to wakayama.
I want to go there.

Takatsuka high school student.

Anonymous said...

Hello.

I have never been to Wakayama.
I read this blog, too and wanted to go to Wakayama.
I am good at taking a photograph.


KobeTakathuka High School Student.

Anonymous said...

Hello.

I have never been to Wakayama.
I read this blog, too and wanted to go to Wakayama.
You are good at taking a photograph.


KobeTakathuka High School Student.

Anonymous said...

Ⅰ have been to Kachouen.
Ⅰ fed more bird there.
More bird very cute.
There was beautiful flower and owl and so on.
Ⅰ had a good time,Ⅰ could enjoy.
But,little bird bit me.
Ⅰt's pain.....

BY.TAKATUKA

Anonymous said...

Hello!!
I had never seen to sell tuna's eyes.
It's a dreadful.
Are those surprised anything?

TAKATSUKA 3nen

Anonymous said...

You are enjoying Japan to the full.
Have you ever been to Tokyo?
If you go up Tokyo Tower, you can commands a view of the whole Tokyo.

TAKATSUKA 3nen

Anonymous said...

It was nice.
I like Westurn style toilet than japanese toilet:)
I want to go onsen!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My mother can eat fish eye.
But Ican`t eat it.
Becase I feel sick at the sight of fish eyes.

Matt said...

There was a TV game show in Australia in which the contestants had to eat fish eyes without throwing up. I won't mention the name of the show, because I'm embarrassed to admit that I watched it!