Thursday, February 14, 2008

Of Snow and Snowmen


Without doubt, the sense most excited by snow is touch. From the gelid air tickling our exposed noses to the frosted ground seeking warmth through the souls of our shoes, the experience of snowy weather is a winter treat. At least this is what Amanda, Matt and I thought on Sunday when we reached the top of the Mt Rokko Sanyo Cable Car station and were greeted with freshly falling snow. However, this awe did wane a little later when our toes started to smart as blood retreated to our torso in an attempt to protect the organs vital for living.

Yet what really surprised me was the way snow affected each of my senses. Unlike touch which is stimulated by the presence of extreme cold, snow engages the senses of smell and sound by their absence (at least in my limited experience). By way of an example, Matt and I ventured up Mt Rokko last summer. The wretched air hung thick around us; our curry lunch stinking in the putrid heat; our sweat habitually wiped in attempts to disguise the odours (best left undescribed) emitted from our pores. And, the cries of children, distressed by their discomfort, the only complement to the day’s cacophony. In contrast, a snowy winter’s day on the mountain side was bereft of such things. All smells (and sweats) concealed beneath a delicate layer of snow, my sushi keep fresh and odourless by the cool temperature and the only sound—silent snowflakes waltzing to rest on the mountain’s edge.

Then there is sight. The sense that had brought us to the mountain. Kobe city holds an annual ice sculpture competition: huge chunks of ice are hauled from the Japan Sea and plonked on the mountain for skilled ice sculptors to have their way with them. Some were truly magnificent, as you can see in the slideshow. Also, you might notice our own attempt at snow sculpture—bringing our past and present together in the form of the snowman koala.
(Click image for slideshow)

Finally, arguably the most important sense of all, taste. I enjoyed many a tasty snow cone in my childhood, those shaved chunks of ice flavoured with sugary red raspberry and green coola cordial, but that’s not what I’m referring to here. While enjoying our bento lunch, Amanda and I watched this little boy pick up soft fluffy snow and lick it from his fingers for 5 minutes straight. Not quite brave enough to get that in touch with snow (as the snow was covering the pathways I had no way of knowing what had been tredding on it), I settled for eating this snowman. I’ve been eying him off for a week in the shop window and decided today was the day to take the plunge and taste a “snowman.” He was a delicious little fellow made out of bread, filled with regular and chocolate custard, and covered with white chocolate and icing. I especially appreciated his smile which he kept even as I brained him with my teeth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snowmen is cute !
It looked very delicious.
I love sweets.
When I look at picture,Iwant to eat it!!
takatuka

Anonymous said...

I want eat snowman!
I like winter.
Because of I envy you!

takatuka